Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Driving me nuts

Kids are apparently born with stalling techniques built in I've decided. No one has to teach them, they just know how to do it. Lately Emily has been really working on her technique to delay anything she doesn't want to do. And sounding a lot like me in the process.

Last night Robert was in her room with her while she was supposed to be picking up her toys and cleaning her room. She had spilled her crayons so she was in the process of picking them up. She had put three of the probably fifty crayons up and put them back in the box when she decided that was enough work for one day. Robert told her to pick up the rest and she said, and I quote, "Just a minute (while holding up one finger. Wonder where she learned that!). I need a drink. I worked hard." Hysterical.

Bedtime is of course when her stalling techniques really come in to play. She always makes numerous requests for chicken nuggets, french fries, root beer, macaroni, and the list goes on or she wants to give Chase another kiss, say prayers again, or she needs a DIFFERENT blanket. My favorite is when she stalls by telling me a story about her "friends" which she says are the Seven Dwarfs. She can get quite elaborate in these stories and tries to think of whatever she can to buy another minute. It just makes me laugh. Stories about birthday parties, her friends coming for dinner, or "my friends are driving me nuts!" I have no idea where she learned that and I say that with no sarcasm whatsoever. Fine. I may have said YOU KIDS ARE DRIVING ME NUTS! once or twice. I'm sure the stalling will get worse and probably less endearing over time but for now it just makes me laugh. There is never a dull moment with Emily around.

2 comments:

Kaybi said...

That is so funny! She is so darn cute! Luke skinned his knee the other day and when I asked him to pick up toys, he told me he couldn't because his leg hurt too much. So dramatic!

Jen H. said...

Kids really do say the cutest things. Mason is the sameway when it comes to bed time. They get pretty creative and sneaky...