Sunday, January 31, 2010

Birthday Boy!

Saturday was Robert's birthday. He would tell you it wasn't the greatest birthday he's ever had. It started off a little rocky on Friday when I left his present sitting on the couch unwrapped. Oops. I forgot to put it away after it was sent by UPS (which is another no no in our house). Later that night Emily had an issue that required a visit to the ER and of course a large bill. We didn't get home until 1am so he spent his birthday tired and dealing with a sick kid. But at least he had the day off work!

The day was vastly improved (according to him) when I unveiled his cake that can only be described as awesome. I mean I am no professional cake decorator, but Duff and Buddy better watch out if you know what I mean. TLC will be knocking on my door. Not really but I was pretty happy with how it turned out considering I don't have much experience. Robert's favorite food is hamburgers. He could eat them until he is red in the face and then he will want more. He doesn't show it in terms of fat on his belly, but I'm sure the arteries of his heart probably resemble that of an eighty year old fat man. So I made him a hamburger cake. My good friend Jennifer from back in the day is a pro cake maker (check out her amazing cakes here) and she gave me some tips and assured me I could do it.

There were a few mistakes and the patty is a little off center but man, it's hard to make a cake like this with two kids. I don't know how you do it Jennifer!

We took the cake to Robert's parents house and celebrated with his family. Because of everything that had gone on we weren't able to make it to the grocery store like I had planned so we had no ice cream and no candles. I found what candles we did have so he ended up with this:

He got a 2 and then a 6 plus a 2. And there you have 28. :) Poor guy. Robert's parents were kind enough to take on two unhappy kids while we went to IN-N-OUT to have what? More hamburgers. When we got back to his parents house our kids were waiting by the door with coats on. I guess they weren't very good! But at least we'll remember this birthday. It may be for its awfulness but at least we'll remember it.

4 comments:

Kim said...

That cake is Awesome! Way to go. Sorry to hear about troubles that include the ER, that stinks. I hope things are much improved!

Kate said...

Nice cake!! Happy birthday!

Jen H. said...

The cake looks fantastic! Great Job! Hope next year goes better for him :)

Tyler Pulsipher said...

How can a birthday be awful with hamburgers and a hamburger cake? He's going to remember it all right, for being awsome! It is surely a lot better than his 19th b-day I spent with him in the MTC, better even than his 20th in Kampong Cham-his cake was not nearly so awsome and his dinner was rice (for the third time that day). Happy birthday Bob!