Thursday, June 25, 2015

Dance Comps

This year Emily was on two different competition teams. A jazz team and a hip hop team. This was her first time ever doing hip hop. And she loved it! She asked me if she could quit her jazz team and just do hip hop. Haha.....NO. But being on two comp teams made competitions even more work than they already were! She competed four dances at each competition.

Woman's World-suuupppperrrr sassy dance to a mix of Cher's "Woman's World" and Britney Spears "Werk"
Hairspray-cute character dance to songs from Hairspray. This was a mini production combined with the team just older than hers. The younger ones were girls and the older ones were boys.
Feel Ur Beat-hip hop dance to this dang song that gets stuck in your head like no other.
Vegas-production number with all of the hip hop teams. Emily's team is the youngest and they were little Elvis'!! Adorable. She danced to "Viva Las Vegas." The other teams were magicians, tourists, showgirls, and gamblers. Finale was to "Uptown Funk."

I was also the team mom for her hip hop team which doubles MY workload but it's way fun to do. This was also the first year Emily had to do extra practices. During February and March she had dance five days a week most weeks. Comp teams really do rule your life!

Rocky Mountain Classic in St. George
Such a fun competition. This was our first comp as a new studio so everyone was really excited and nervous. But the studio (and Emily) did amazing!
Woman's World-3rd
Hairspray-1st
Feel Ur Beat-1st -these girls' first time ever doing hip hop and they went up against an amazing studio that specializes in hip hop and beat them!
Vegas-Platinum (Highest score you can get)

The studio won Beginning and Intermediate high point and Sweepstakes! (Highest scoring studio of the day)
We had two dances with wigs this year! Hairpsray and Vegas. Glad to see those go!


Aspire Dance Pro-Ogden
I was not really a fan of this comp. But whatevs. One fun thing about it was that half way through the day they had a master class from a professional dancer. So that was fun. It was waaayyyyy over Emily's head but I'm proud of her for even doing it and trying her best!
Woman's World-Ruby
Hairspray-Ruby
Vegas-1st-Grand Champions
Feel Ur Beat-3rd-Diamond
The studio won a bunch of high points and stuff but I don't remember what they were. :)

 Master class

Gotta Move
My FAV comp of the year! I just love Gotta Move. It's such a positive and uplifting competition. They raised money for pediatric cancer and we shared our dressing room with an awesome studio that was so sweet. It was just a really fun day.
Woman's World-1st and Best Showmanship (facials, projection, etc.) In this dance it should just be best sass award. One sassy dance!
Feel Ur Beat-2nd-they got 2nd by .5 points! But the next week they beat the team that beat them this week. Best Showmanship and 4th OVERALL BEGINNING HIGH POINT!!!
Hairspray-1st-Best Costume
Vegas-1st-5th OVERALL INTERMEDIATE HIGH POINT!!!
The studio also won STUDIO SWEEPSTAKES and our awesome directors won DIRECTORS OF THE YEAR! Fun day!




Diamond Classic
Ugh. This comp was rough for me. I think it was just because it was our 4th competition in 4 weeks and we were all beat. It was also a REALLY crowded competition with some really big studios so I was having some claustrophobic issues! I was glad when it was over. :) They also did not like our hip hop AT ALL. It was almost comical.
Woman's World-1st
Hairspray-2nd
Feel Ur Beat-4th
Vegas-1st

These are the only pics I took all day. I was over it. :)

Carly also took her very first dance class this year. She absolutely loved it. I told Robert we should put her in a dance class every day of the week because she was a totally different kid on days when she had dance. She was so happy and cooperative! I hated taking her to dance but the things you do for your kids! I really just hated dealing with Logan during her class time. :)



It was a very fun dance season. Some of my best friends these days are the moms of the girls Em dances with. Her best friends are girls she dances with too. It was a little  bit of a roller coaster with some things going on at the studio but we all had a great time! Looking forward to what the next year has to bring!

1 comment:

scworthen said...

Love reading about your little family! Kiddos are adorable.